Your drains get clogged and it’s not really surprising at all. Since it is exposed to different kinds of waste materials every time you use your plumbing fixtures, it is naturally prone to clogging. You can just imagine the greasy stuff and food wastes that get into the pipes every time the sink is used. Oily stuff will stick to the insides of the pipes and will surely accumulate and become the cause of clogging. When this plumbing emergency happens, it is not recommended to use chemical based anti-drain clogging solutions. What I can advise is using all-natural and inexpensive vinegar and baking soda!
Here’s a DIY guide that you can follow:
- If you are dealing with a double sink, make sure that you’ll plug the other drain with an old cloth to avoid back-ups.
- Get a cup of white vinegar and baking soda. Pour the baking soda into the drain. Pour the white vinegar afterwards.
- Plug the drain and let the two ingredients create a chemical reaction. If there’s no audible fizzing sound coming from the pipes, remove the cloth or rag.
- After the vinegar and baking soda work their magic, pour a kettle of boiling hot water into the drain. This will wash off the ingredients.
- Turn the tap on and test if the flow of water in the drain is smooth. If it is, that means that you have successfully removed the clog.
- Now if the solution doesn’t work out, you’ll have to use your plunger. Fill the sink with water that’s enough to cover the rubber part of the plunger. Position the plunger right on top of the drain and start plunging in a consistent, fast pace. Try doing this for 15 times, then, pour water into the drain and see if the clog has been removed.
- If clogging is still present, remove the sink trap and use a plumbing snake to push out the clog. Don’t forget to wear protective gloves to protect yourself from bacteria and other waste materials inside the pipes.
I hope that this DIY guide on how to use vinegar to unclog drains helps you solve your drain problem. You can also read this post on how to prevent drain clogs to avoid inconveniences. And should the problem persist, only rely on expert Sommerville plumbers of Plumbers 911. Call (855) 550-991 to schedule an appointment today.